Sunday, June 1, 2014

Oh, So the Thyroid is an Important Body Part, Eh?

I had my two month follow-up at Balanced Hormones and Health this week and found out that I also have hypothyroidism and a goiter. Whenever I hear the word goiter, I immediately think of an episode of Seinfeld when the gang signs up to visit elderly people in their homes and one of the ladies has a goiter the "size of a football." I don't think mine is that big but it is annoying and I have to get an ultrasound done to see exactly what is going on.
I have done a lot of research on the thyroid this week and I found out a lot of interesting information.  It turns out a lot of people have undiagnosed or misdiagnosed thyroid problems because most doctors just look at one of the numbers that come back with the blood tests.  My doctor also looked at my T3 level and she said it indicates a problem.  She put me on Armour Thyroid, which is made from pig thyroid, apparently, and it has been very successful in treating patients with similar symptoms as mine. She said she wanted to treat my symptoms, not my paperwork, which I appreciate.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism include: gaining weight or inability to lose weight (check), constipation (check)  fatigue (check) brittle hair (sort of check) dry skin (check) and can also include various other things that are different from one person to the next. These are the things I really wanted help with, especially the weight and the fatigue so I was more than happy to start taking the medication.  On a side note, she also gave my nystatin for candida, which, if you've read my other posts, you know is something I'm also combating.
So, essentially in the last few months I have found out I have a hormonal imbalance, a lazy thyroid, and an intestinal yeast infestation. Yeah, it's no wonder I don't feel so good.  But the medicine and supplements are slowly working. I am starting to feel better (except for a nasty case of acid reflux, which I am thinking might have something to do with the goiter.)  I am sleeping a little better,  have a little more energy, and while I haven't lost any weight yet, I have stopped gaining weight, which is a step in the right direction.
Hopefully, after a few months of treatment, my symptoms will start to subside and I will start feeling like myself again!  Here's hoping for healthy improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment